Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Long and the Short of It

In the three years my husband and I have been together as a couple (dating, engagement and marriage) I have heard the same phrase pop up when ever the discussion turns to a potential trip to the salon for a trim:  I married you with long hair, I'll bury you with long hair.  Keep in mind, this has always been said in jest (as the phrase popped up early in the relationship, long before marriage was even on the table).  If I'm not mistaken, it was a phrase from his youth he repeatedly heard his grandfather say to grandma.

While I know he would never stand in the way of my own personal style choices and this was just his silly way of saying he loved my long hair, I keep the thought in mind.  If he really likes my hair long and I like it, it was worth it for me to keep it long and keep him happy.

That said, I am now 17 months into my transition to all natural silver locks.  While my hair has gotten a bit shorter with each trim I still consider it long. (Just not as long as I thought he likes)  I'm so close to the finish line.  So easily "done" if I would only lop off those last few inches.  But there it is in my head....I married you with long hair....

While I want the transition over (patience has never been my strong suit) I also want my long hair.  I want it for my husband.  I want it for me.  I'm more comfortable with long hair.  I know how to style my long hair. I don't know what to do with short.  And, did I mention I want the transition over?

The other night, out of no where, my adorable husband says to me:  "You look really cute with shorter hair.  Its sophisticated.  Very sexy.  I like it."

Huh?  What happened to burying me with long hair?

The psychological trick I was using to get me through my transition vanished!!!  Knowing my husband loved my long hair gave me the patience to wait out the transition and now I felt dropped on my head!

What to do?  What to do?  Start 2013 out with a new, sassy short do?  

Or hang in there for the long haul?
Stay tuned and see where I land....


2 comments:

  1. Go short! I did and now I want to go shorter. Waiting is soooo hard and having two-tone hair is no fun.

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fear is going shorter and shorter! LOL I don't mind the two tone so much now since there is so little left but being done would be so nice. I'm leaving toward the chop!

      Delete