Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Surprises

Superbowl Sunday.  We have an invitation to an awesome party with a guest list that includes my ex.  So much for going to the awesome party.  I could vent more on this but is best saved for another time.

Its 9am and I am running errands for our intimate at-home Superbowl party.  The phone rings.  My "wild hair" sister is asking if she can make reservations for two nights at my house.  "Of course!!!!  When do you want to come visit?"  The response, "I'm on the plane.  See you in 4 hours!"

Am I ridiculously excited?  Hell yeah!  Am I nervous that my non-gray, older sister is coming and will finally see my 2 1/2" strip of gray out-growth?  Hell yeah!

My sister has so often been my rock.  She is a marvelous support system.  A cheerleader when needed, a shoulder to cry on and the voice of reason when my reason has flown the coop.  But, she has never seen my gray hair!!!!

As promised, four hours later my sister pulls up into the drive.  Dog hugs, cat hugs, nephew hugs bro-in-law hugs and then...the sister hug.  Its so great to see her at my door I completely forget about anything but the fact that my sister has surprised me with an impromptu visit.  And then it happens.  She pulls back and gives me a look.  I know the look.  She is analyzing the hair.  The stripe.  The gray.

No doubt a split second that felt like several minutes and she smiles.  She loves the gray, the gradation, the salt and pepper, the process.  She is, again, my cheerleader, my voice of reason and my rock.

Sisters ROCK!  And I would not trade mine for anything, ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment