Monday, January 9, 2012

The DMV...

For the past eight years I have successfully avoided the dreaded DMV.  At my last visit, which required a 3 hours stay (even though I HAD a scheduled appointment) I managed to walk out triumphant with an unheard of very NICE drivers license photo.  In it I'm tanned, well coiffed and smiling.  I vowed NEVER to change my license again, just keep renewing on line.

And now here I am.  A newly married woman with a new life, new hair, a new last name and the need for (deep sigh) a new drivers license.  In my excitement to don my new last name on all things me, I scheduled the DMV appointment.  Since this is Florida and snowbird season, the appointment needed to be scheduled out several months in order to get a time that fit into my work schedule.  When I made the appointment I was newly into my going gray transition.  The skunk stripe could easily be hidden with the right part of the hair or cutesie headband.

My appointment with the DMV is now upon me.  Tomorrow I get the new license with the new name and (ugh) the new photo.  Whats the big deal you say?  I am now sporting a good three inches of gorgeous gray which is still attached to old, dull, fading brown dye job.  There is no way to hid the transition.

And as I type away here, telling my dilemma to whoever might happen upon this blog, I realize this is not a bad thing at all.  This is part of my journey.  I'm embracing the new silver hairs so why not embrace the photo documenting my journey.  When the transition to full on gray is complete, I'll just go get another drivers license.  And then I'll just be dreading the 3 hour wait....not the worry over left over hair dye.

2 comments:

  1. As a former GGLG Silver Sister, I'm glad you started this blog and hope to see more blogging about grayt hair as well as other things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen! I really appreciate the comments from a former Silver Sister! Looking forward to more blogging on the subject.

    ReplyDelete