Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hang on to hope

For as long as I can remember, tulips have been my favorite flower. Delicate, bright and the sign of spring.  The end of a long cold winter.  Tulips give me hope for warmer days ahead.

During my tenure in Wisconsin my garden was bursting with tulips each spring. I always over planted knowing my furry little squirrel nemesis would dig out a percentage of bulbs.  They take a bite and then spit it out in disgust realizing the find was NOT a giant nut.

My eventual move to Florida, while a sun drenched blessing, was also a horticultural shock to the system.  Gone were all my familiar plants. My seasons.  Gone were my tulips.

Ten plus years in Florida and I have long since adapted to my new plant life.  I've grown to embrace it.  Understand it.  Yet I still miss my tulips.

Last Valentines Day my loving husband presented me with a lovely pot of tulips.  I loved them.  They were my connection to home, to hope, to new beginnings.  When the last flower wilted I couldn't let go.  I couldn't just toss the bulbs.  The little pink pot of bulbs was placed in the shed.

Every now and then I would notice the pot think about giving it a toss.  The idea of tulips growing in Florida was ridiculous but I like having hope.  The pot always stayed.

Today my husband and I were out working in the yard.  Somehow the little pink pot had been knocked down and he noticed it.  "Is this any good or should I just toss it?" He showed me the pot, dirt knocked out and tiny, green little sprouts peeking out.  TULIPS!  My sign of spring, the end of winter, a new beginning.  There is always hope!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment